
I just started reading a book that I borrowed from my sister-in-law by Nancy Kennedy, called When Perfect Isn't Enough, How I conquered my fear of the Proverbs 31 Woman. It is such a great book while being extremely hilarious at the same time.
I know I haven't blogged lately and that is because I have been extremely busy at work and at home. Now that I have slowed down atleast a little bit, I thought this would be a perfect start to the blogging world again. I am not promising an every day blog post, but I will atleast try once a week. :)
Back to the book. Yesterday the chapter I read was SO funny. Matt actually walked in our bedroom and laughed at me because I was laughing and smiling the whole time I was reading. I don't think I have ever learned or read about Proverbs 31 so this is all new to me. It will make you feel terrible when you read it, it did me anyway (Proverbs 31, not the book)... (unless, that is, you are scrarily perfect and do all of these crazy things). I seriously think the lady that I work is close to this "virtuous woman". :-/ I'm not going to put it here, you'll have to look it up. It's sort of long for a blog post. :)
Anyway, this is something I read that will give you an idea of what the book is about... "a hilarious quest to become the Proverbs 31 Woman that will bring relief to your heart and tears of laughter to your eyes. Like Nancy, you will be profoundly changed by a life-transforming truth: God loves you just as you are and has given you all the grace and gifts you need to be exactly who he has called you to be."
Last night's chapter that had me laughing so much was on Truth and Mercy. At the end of each chapter it has questions and verses for you to look up. The few verses at the end of Chapter 2 were SO good and were all on Truth and Mercy and God's love for us. One of my favorites was Psalm 85:10 - "Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed [each other]." Isn't that great?! And another
1 John 4:10 - "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (I had to look the word "Propitiation" up by the way. And this is what Wikipedia says.... In Christianity, propitiation is a theological term denoting that by which God is rendered propitious, i.e., that 'satisfaction' or 'appeasement' by which it becomes consistent with his character and government to pardon and bless sinners. The propitiation does not procure his love or make him loving; rather, it renders it consistent for him to exercise his love towards sinners.)
These verses really spoke to me and made me feel a lot better after reading Proverbs 31!
I am so thankful and have been so blessed by God's mercy and grace and unfortunately take it for granted every day. I know this book isn't going to make anyone perfect, but it definetly helps a person when they are "down in the dumps" so to speak. It is very uplifting and I definetly reccommend this to any woman in need of some serious social and spiritual lifting. :)
More to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment